Friday 13 February 2009

Ask Tom #4012

Have you ever felt like nothing makes any sense to you, least of all yourself, that social interaction is just babbling incomprehensibly through plate glass, that everything seems to be an illusion? How do you function?


Hmmm, now you mention it, yes. Although I prefer to think of my babbling as coming through stained glass, and therefore much prettier.

Everything is an illusion, except buses and trams, which are very real and can sneak up on you if you're not careful, so my advice is always look both ways.

How do I function? I wake up and plan my day... I divide it into 24 handy segments of roughly 60 minutes, of which I will only be awake for about 9. Then I further divide those twenty-four 60 minute segments into 4 bite-sized chunks of 15. In those 4 chunks of 15 minutes, I try to make sure at least one chunk features something enjoyable, like a cup of tea or a picture of a kitten. If enough tiny chunks of the day are used in this way, I believe it's possible to function and to actually lead a fulfilled life with moments of pleasure and profound joy.

If I actually look further ahead than that, I see a black chasm of despair so vast, bleak and depressing that I can't even dress myself.

Now, where's my cup of tea?

15 comments:

  1. Ah yes. The Abyss. I seem to have pitched a small tent on the edge that is inching forwards every conscious second. I do hope there's tea there. I doubt it but clearly my capacity to hope is still somewhat intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy valentine's Day, Tom :)

    http://www.montessoricats.com/two-cats-summer-fishing.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why bother getting up at all? ;-)What's the meaning of life? There is no meaning unless there's tea. Question answered by Mr Tom. I'll share my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Valentine, hope you and Amie have a very romantic day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's a particularly good question to ask around Valentine's Day
    "Now we see but a poor reflection in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

    ReplyDelete
  6. So,Amie came back from the US and that explains why you don't update anymore. Glad it finally worked out right after all these years. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he's just stuck in a lift and not telling us.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's problably kidnapped by the genie in the lamp.
    That's what happens if you ask for more than 3 wishes. You should have known better,Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No updates hopefully means Tom is out their enjoying life away from the internet:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe he drowned 50 miles downriver or maybe he's just fed up with all his fans...all 12 of them

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's a worry though - all these unanswered questions

    how is his finger?
    did Anonymous's picture of 2 cats fishing help to pull him back from the black chasm?
    did he enjoy the Robyn Hitchcock gig?
    and is twitter a tweet too far?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've got another question to add to the pile...Tom, do you have any plans to play at any festivals this summer yet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please come back with your blogs Tom, we need your insights of intelligence and humor with this crisis hanging over our heads!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I miss your blogs mister fisherman

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please come back Tom. I miss your thoughts :(
    Give us some good news about you and your future album.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment, observations,screams of outrage here, and clothing and grooming tips.